Welcome back to my YoungLife retreat guide series! Today I’m going to talk about Summer Camp, YoungLife camp is something I look forward to every year (It’s my only vacation). I’ve been going to capernaum camp for two years and summer going into Senior year I went to my first High school (non capernaum) camp! Since every camp is different and I don’t want to give too much away this will be very basic. YoungLife camp is NOT your basic church camp that you went as a child. If you went to Fall Weekend its basically like that but for a week!
LIMIT YOURSELF TO TWO BAGS (one carry on , and one suitcase)
Bring outfits to last you 5-7 days, comfy and casual! 2 shirts per day is recommended because you NEVER know what could happen, bring shirts that represent yout school and state! ANY KIND of tank tops are allowed)
- I usually bring 2 Jean shorts for nights and anything else YL camp throws at you and I also bring running/ gym shorts for daytime activites
- 1 Travel outfit -you mostly drive through the night camp pending on how far you live- last year I threw a pair of sweats and a top in my carry on bag for the ride home
2 Pairs of Pj’s -or how many you want to bring
Your leader will tell you to bring certain shirts and won’t tell why….. don’t ask just do it
Underwear -for how many times you change undies
Socks- 1 Pair for everday
Sports Bras -1 cup bra for nice outfit
(2) Plastic Bags (for dirty or wet things)
ONE Throw-away outfit:
Throw-away outfit includes:
100% NOT TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!!! (if your school did paint war this year REUSE THAT OUTFIT)
Shirt & Shorts
Sock & Shoes (closed toed)
Underwear/Bra (SPORTS BRA PLEASE)
1 Sundress OR nice skirt and top (fancy outfit)
(1)Beach & Face towel (camp provides shower towel/sheets/ bedding)
(1-2)Swim suits- Swim suits- a Bikini is OK but don’t bring a Really nice one (like your brand new one from Victoria Secret) and a one piece ( I suggest Target or a sporting goods store for a [cute] one piece)!!
(1) cover up- Cover ups are a Must because you can’t go inside (unless to your cabin) without a cover up, it doesn’t have to be a nice cover up it can be a XL shirt or a sports Pennie!
Shoes- I usually pack 5 pairs of shoes and wear one pair on the bus
Pairs of shoes:
- Closed toed -that can be trashed
- Closed toed -for ropes course and Horses ** Horses are at only at certain camps**
- Shower shoes
- Fancy Sandals ( Optional- to go with fancy outfit)
- Sandals to run around camp in (Chacos, Crocs, Birks,flip flops)
(1 of each)-Hoodie, Patagonia pullover (if you have one) Sweatpants, Long sleeve shirts, and flannels (early mornings and late nights can get chilly)
Raingear -Be prepared, check forecast at the state your going (Don’t pack your hunters-takes up a lot of space)
hair brush + hair ties
Nail Polish (optional)
bandanas (it’s camp)/ headbands
Face & body soap
Hair curler/straightner (Optional)
BACKPACK (I suggest you bring one
Wallet w/Money- for camp store, snack shack, and meals there and back
ENO -if you have one DON’T BUY ONE FOR CAMP People share (eno’s fit 2 people)
Camera/ GoPro- most girls bring one and take pics (check with other girls if they are bringing one. NO PHONE WEEK!!!!
Bible/Journal/pen (If you have quiet time on a daily basis) [quiet time is not a camp activity but quiet time is good]
SNACKS!!! -enough to share with cabin
Cards or mini “to go” games- for downtime or if you and some girls want a break from the sun EX: Uno, Spot it, Cards
MEDS in a ziploc bag with (ziploc NEEDS to be labeled)- You turn meds into a leader at the bus/during bus ride, they’ll go in a box, (with other meds from your school) I pack my daily meds, advil, and meds for motion sickness. Please Note: Leaders CANNOT give you meds like advil etc.
If you play the ukulele or Guitar- bring it!!! (you’ll make friends from other schools/states!!)
****Optional*** smaller backpack to carry around camp everyday!!!
Backpack/For The Bus:
- Movies (last year I was the only one who brought movies)
- Pillow/Blanket (camp provides bedding but it’s great for the bus)
- Phone/Charger, since the trip is long they allow phones to be out during the bus ride
- Keep in mind: Phones will be collected before you enter camp, they don’t look at it
If you take meds
- Make sure your cabin leader knows (make a plan)
- Infirmary is CLOSED before meals and before cabin bell Plan ahead (if you need meds before meals, you can ask them to put the meds in a enevople so you can take them. BE SMART, Morning line for meds is CRAZY.
- If have a epi pen (talk with a leader rules might change on that)
Upperclassmen/ second timers
Love on your friends who have never been to camp before, camp can be scary so I recommend you step away from your friend group and love on others… step out of your “boat of comfort”!!! Pray for your first time/underclassmen friends. Talk to a leader or a peer to see who’s going to camp for the first time and pick one or two friends to spend time with. You’ll feel good! Have a intentional conversation with a peer (same grade or not the day or 2 days before 110/100) If you have a first time friend going: go to their house and help them pack! (if they want the help)
Before Camp Departure:
- Make sure you are getting camp emails (usually sent to your parents email- Check with them)
- Go Camp Shopping -Target and Walmart are great places to get everything
- have everything labeled
- Have forms COMPLETED (If not already)
- double check bag(s) (make sure you have EVERYTHING)
Tips for a great week:
- HAVE A OPEN MIND
- pack extra things (share with others)
- SHARE everything- snacks, clothing, HELP A SISTA OUT!!!! (if needed)
- Use the buddy system, before you go to a freetime activity check with your cabin if they want to go with you! if going to the infirmary or anywhere at night MUST BRING A BUDDY (anything can happen, even though YL camp is 110% safe)
- Cabins have cubbies, but they don’t have enough for everyone to have their own be prepare to share!
- Pray for others, camp is GREAT but try to have conversations with others!
- Make time for yourself!!!! You’re with people 24/7 don’t be afraid to ask to take a walk and be by yourself (if needed)
- Don’t make a BIG deal if your not in a cabin with your best friend, god placed you in that cabin for a reason. MAKE NEW FRIENDS
- Meds and Phone will be collected (don’t make this a big deal)
- Don’t make Pointless Drama!!!-for some kids this is their only vacation, be mature and handle everything like a adult!!! If you have an issue talk to a leader
- Suitcase with wheels are ideal -thank me later
- by the end of week your cabin becomes like your family, when you get your phone back make a group chat!!!
If you are going to camp- have the best week of your life! I hope this helped, If you’re reading this and will be at Saranac June 17-24 shoot me a tweet @kristenmanifold don’t feel scared to say hi!